Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hoop it up

Parker has recently started playing basketball through a Christian program called Upward. So far, he has only had 2 practices and 1 game so far. I am amazed by this program. The program puts a large emphasis on learning the sport, teamwork, and building character. It is very easy for me to get on a soap box about the competitive nature of youth sports today and the pressure we put on our kids, but I will do my best to refrain from this. With 3 boys, we will be right in the middle of all of these sports soon enough, so in no way am I knocking other organized sports. I will, however, tell you what I love so much about this program. When we were given his uniform, we were also given a great CD of bible verses set to music that the boys love. The pastor at the church prayed before the game, and then as a team, they prayed at the end of the game as well. After the game, the coach gave each of the kids a star that goes on their uniform symbolizing and "award" that they got. Each kid got a different "award", just a way to encourage each of them and make them feel good about their performance. Tonight at practice, they stopped half way through to have a short devotional, where they practiced their weekly memory verse, and the coach did a small devotional. It was so sweet to watch the kids listening to their coach, then get up and finish practice. It almost seems like a cross between Awanas and team sports. I just love it. Parker is already learning so much. He told me tonight that he learned to "bend my knees when I shoot to give me more power, and to hit it off the backboard". It was too cute. We are really proud of him!

He looks so big!

This is them praying after the game. Too sweet!

This is from practice tonight during the devotional. I just love it!

0 comments: